Saturday, February 22, 2014

Physical and Spiritual Health

I have noticed that this topic of health is so so big... there are so many opinions and information out there to read and consider. I noticed my reading time being taken up with health blogs, reading up on coconut oil or researching my next work out program. My nightly reading was starting to shift into my cookbook and learning about recipes. A lot of my conversation was filled with health talk and what Ive been learning and needing to change. Is my point to say that this is wrong or bad? Not necessarily.


Like with anything, when you first start, there is excitement and investment in research that needs to be had. It's totally natural that there is a bigger investment of time into a certain thing in the beginning. Then that pesky word "balance" needs to come into play. Just like with anything else, I found I need to step back, look at my time, what I'm valuing and how much of my mind I'm giving to this topic of health in my life.

I see the scriptures putting an emphasis on the spiritual aspect of our life. Renewing our mind, serving others, growing in patience, pursuing knowledge.....etc. But, I truly think that physical health nourishes spiritual health so they compliment each other for sure. If I am not feeling well its hard to read and give energy to spiritual things. If my hormones are not in balance its hard to have a stable mood in my role as a wife or mommy. You get the picture.



I feel like I'm being messy with my thoughts right now, but basically what I'm trying to get at is this....

From reading the scriptures I see there being an emphasis on our spiritual health and pursuing the reformation of our thinking according to Gods word, loving Him and others. I take that and then keep in mind that physical health can really be a hinderance or help to my spiritual health. After stepping back and reevaluating my time and heart I was able to make a more balanced decision on how, going forward,  I should spend my time thinking, reading, talking about and pursuing both my physical and spiritual health.  Not sure if any of you struggle with keeping these in their proper place? I think the lines blurred there a tiny bit and might again in the future, but I think having this in the forefront of my mind will help me spend my time/efforts in a way I think is truly most beneficial.

Kristin

2 comments:

  1. I really needed this today cause i find myself doing the same things. And i love what you said about spiritual health and physical health and how they depend on each other! Thanks for helping me refocus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. I have just recently been convicted about this exact topic and the battle of how to not spiral even lower in the black hole. I find myself getting consumed with comparison,jealousy,pride and easily believing the lies that I don't even have the strength to deal with and I don't even want to pick up Gods word, my sword to fight.... I desperately need Jesus

    ReplyDelete