Monday, February 10, 2014

Some Favorites

There are many things I eat because they're good for me but I don't necessarily enjoy.  Today I thought I'd share 3 additions to our eating/cooking that have stuck around and now I downright love them.  First up is Dandy Blend.  I know, I know, we've mentioned this about a dozen times now but that's for a good reason.  When you give up caffeine, sodas, and a good amount of sugar finding something that is good to drink becomes increasingly exciting.  Enter Dandy Blend…


I drink it daily and look forward to it.  I can drink it black (which wasn't even an option with coffee), but if I'd prefer to spice it up that day I'll add a little coconut sugar and cream.  I spoke with the company and they said they offer free samples for anyone who is interested! Send them an email and try it out, maybe you'll enjoy it as much as we have.  


Next up is coconut oil.  I don't even know where to start with this one since it can be used for almost anything!  I now have 2 jars of coconut oil in my house, one for cooking and one for skin care (and other non-food uses).  It's great for cooking, skin issues, diaper rash cream, mental alertness…  It's one of those foods that sounds too good to be true.  Here is a nice little list of 101 uses for coconut oil, try some of them out for yourself and see how you like it!  I know I've been impressed with the results from using it. 


And last but not least is quinoa pasta (pronounced kinwa).  One of the hardest things I've noticed with all of these dietary changes is the lack of a hearty, satisfying meal.  Every once in a while I really want pasta, but these days when I eat pasta I feel like I ate a ton of bricks, and may even feel bad for the rest of the day.  Quinoa pasta has been the perfect substitute.  I enjoy the I cook with it about 2 or 3 times a month and love it every time.  Make sure you cook it in plenty of water and whatever you do don't overcook it since it will turn into mush. 



I hope that some of these items help you make healthier choices too.  Any suggestions you have for other good and healthy alternatives would be wonderful!  I'm always looking for new things to try. 

-Bre

5 comments:

  1. I am going to try quinoa "breadcrumbs".
    You make quinoa and lay it out flat on cookie sheet and dry it out in the oven. You can grind it up if you want once it is dry. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use coconut oil for my eye makeup remover as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. trader joes brown rice pasta is my fav! After trying a few gluten free alternatives this is the best I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used coconut oil on my wooden furniture. I don't know if that's crazy, but I read another thing that said mayo was a great furniture polish, but I didn't like that idea as much as the coconut oil - and the old furniture that needed some stain touch-ups didn't need them after the coconut oil polish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so helpful! I just bought my first jar of coconut oil last month and so far so good! I currently do the Oil Cleansing Method which involves EVOO, Caster Oil, and Tea Tree oil, but once that runs out I think I'd like to try a more consistent routine with the coconut oil. What do you do specifically with it? Just apply it straight as is?

    Keep up the good work with this blog btw. I just started following and I'm regretting that I didn't check it out sooner! I kept seeing your posts on IG about it, and kept telling myself I would get around to it eventually. I got around to it. And I love it. You guys are awesome. Keep it up :)

    @haley__dennis

    ReplyDelete