Friday, March 7, 2014

The Best Banana Bread. Seriously.

My girls asked if we could make banana bread last week and I was happy to do so.  As much as I'm consciously avoiding sugar and lots of breads I knew that making any other recipe bedsides this one wasn't even an option.  I've made the same recipe with my girls for year and it's their favorite and mine.  I love knowing that they'll grow up with fond memories of recipes we've made their whole life, both health and more indulgent.  

Not all banana breads are equal, if it's too cake-y or dry then I'd rather not even eat it.  This banana bread is perfectly moist, dense, and downright delicious.  Now I know this isn't a healthy banana bread recipe, especially since it has sugar in it, but it is definitely the best banana bread recipe I've ever tried.  I made it with Cup 4 Cup Gluten Free Flour so that it wouldn't hurt my youngest tummy.  I shouldn't go further without mentioning how much I love this flour.  This is by far the best gluten free flour I've tried, which explains the hefty price tag.  Anyway back to the banana bread… If you're looking for the best banana bread then make this, if you're looking for the healthiest banana bread then you may want to keep looking!  Even though this isn't the healthiest recipe out there it sure does make for a nice treat.  


Banana Bread

5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe mashed bananas
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray bottom of a 9 inch round pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2.  Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3.  Add granulated Sugar and brown sugar; Beat until well blended.
4.  Add egg, egg whites and vanilla; blend.
5.  Mix in the mashed bananas, and beat the mixture on high speed for 30 seconds.
6.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
7.  Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with the cream, ending with the flour mixture.
8.  Pour batter evenly into prepared 9 inch round pan (or loaf pan).
9.  Bake until golden brown, and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (About one hour).


1 comment:

  1. So different from my bread (which is the best) I will have to do a taste off. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete