Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Planning Ahead and Surviving Christmas

I'm pretty sure my mom is at home laughing (if she reads this) at the thought of ME writing a blog post about planning ahead. Let's face it, that isn't my strong suit. I'm more of a wait till the last minute, works well under pressure kinda gal. I quickly realized day 1 of these new changes that that wasn't going to fly anymore… at least when it comes to planning meals and eating at home almost exclusively.

What does this look like in our home now? Before if we had ran out of eggs or breakfast foods we would just grab bagels or Starbucks in the morning and then do our grocery shopping after. Now I'm planning ahead better. If we're out of breakfast foods then I make sure I do a quick, late night run to the store the night before. Another biggie is planning errands around meal times. I know this sounds pretty basic, but it's something I've been putting far more thought into then I did before.

Little changes turn into big changes and that's something I'm excited about.

Lastly, since Christmas is tomorrow and we will all have mounds of food at our disposal, I though I'd quickly share my plan for getting through the holiday. I will be eating and enjoying every moment of it. I just can't imagine my girls begin grown, coming over for a holiday meal, then tell me that they don't want the pumpkin pie I worked hard on and have made them every year since they were little because they're dieting. I've had a great week, with so much improvement and I'm feeling really good, but I'm all about searching for balance. Food holds memories (good and bad), I want my girls to remember the healthy meals I made for them everyday, but I also want them to look forward to special holiday meals and remember how good my pumpkin pie and homemade rolls are.


Come Thursday I'll be back to my new ways and probably feeling a little crummy from enjoying our Christmas.


-Brianne

No comments:

Post a Comment