Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Preparing for battle

That sounds a bit dramatic, but in my mind this sure is a battle. I don't know what my whole plan is yet but I do know that I would like to keep the food inside our home as healthy as possible, that way when we have the chance to go out with friends, or my husband and I go on a date it can be a special treat.

First up on the agenda today (once the girls were busy with their school work) was to clear out all of the junk that has slowly crept in… Dr. Pepper I used for a recipe, packaged food I would grab at target when I was too lazy to go shopping, microwave popcorn (the girls didn't appreciate that), random canned food… The basket is stuff I can donate, the trash bag is partially eaten or perishable goods that needed to go!


The other thing to go today was artificial sweeteners. I don't have a big weakness for soda, I cut out sodas years ago, and now when I have the occasional diet coke it doesn't really bother me that much. My weakness is for iced tea, which would be perfectly ok if I wasn't using sweet n low to sweeten it. I've used sweet n low in my tea since I was a teenager so this is a sore spot for me, and embarrassingly hard to give up. When it comes down to it I want to be ok with choosing calories over chemical so sweet n low and all anther artificial sweeteners got the boot. From now on I'll be working on easing my way into liking tea less sweet, or maybe even transitioning to hot tea with honey (which means I need to learn to like honey a whole lot more).

Brianne

7 comments:

  1. Start with raw honey from the farmers market. It is night and day different from the store stuff. There r so many flavors depending on where the bees pollinated. There is Stevia too that is a natural sweetner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two need to come over for a glass of kombucha and I will cook a couple easy healthy dishes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally into the idea of kombucha, I think I'm going to ease into it buy buying it at Whole Foods to start with.

      Delete
  3. fake sugar is the hardest thing for me to give up. I love diet pepsi. i am a pro fad dieter, but the soda is always my Achilles heel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diet Coke! That's all Im going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raw sugar and raw honey have had to grow on us too. Any fake sugar you cut out for more than a month will save lives and answer many health questions in mysterious ways. From experience it has miraculously saved my daughters life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taking some getting used to, but I'm up for the challenge. What happened with your daughter, if you don't mind me asking?

      Delete