Monday, January 13, 2014

Balance

I've noticed over the last (almost) month that finding balance is challenging when it comes to eating well and exercising. As soon as I hoped on the healthy eating bandwagon I really went for it, cleaned out my fridge, gave up caffeine (along with many other things), read up on endless subjects to help gain as much knowledge as possible, and went full force into my new lifestyle changes. And things have been great, really great actually. My anxiety that I've had since April has disappeared, my tummy feels great (unless I have something I know I shouldn't be eating), I have far more energy, I'm getting stronger (thank you HasFit!), I'm even noticing improvements in my skin...

tomatoes, burrata, basil, balsamic, olive oil, and homemade pickles on the side
So what's the problem you ask? Well, my biggest  challenge is finding balance. Being this gung-ho about everything can be kinda exhausting, but at the same time I get concerned that if I'm not as focused on it then I may backslide. If you can't tell I'm an all or nothing kinda gal. I think I will find balance over time, and like with anything, I know that the longer I do something the easier it will get. But in the meantime I have purposely been making myself splurge, just a little something here and there. I'm basically teaching myself how to not be all or nothing. And it's hard. I'd really like this to stick and it seems like the best way for that to happen is if I'm not so uptight about it… haha me NOT uptight, now that's funny! On the other hand maybe I need to be all or nothing. We'll see, I'm all about trial and error until I find the right fit.


In other news, we're coming up on our last week of our 30 day HasFit challenge and I'm starting to search for what to do next. I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions… they can't involve going to the gym since that isn't really an option for me at this point. I've considered doing P90X3 (30 minute version since I don't always have an hour for working out), there is also a 90 day challenge on HasFit that doesn't seem as intense but it's free and free is reeeeally nice. And since the 30 day challenge doesn't seem to be torture enough, we also decided to do a 30 day plank challenge. I video myself doing it every night and send it to my sister and Kristin… besides the accountability it also gives them a good laugh I'm sure. Please join in with us, I need to know others are suffering along with me. I should also mention that I'm pretty sure the chances of me getting to 5 minutes is slim to none, right now holding it for 30 seconds its downright painful! We'll see how it goes, I'll be doing back flips if I can hold it for 5 minutes… oh wait, I don't know how to do back flips, is there a 30 day challenge for that?


Here you go, this is me doing day 3 for 30 seconds… I realized a little ways in that I was holding my hands the wrong way but there was no way I was starting over. I use oven mitts under my elbows since even with my mat this exercise still hurts my elbows for some reason, am I the only one? (This is my first time ever posting a video, I hope it works!!)


Thank you to everyone who has been so encouraging and even joined in along with us! It's nice not doing this alone.

-Bre

7 comments:

  1. I love what you guys are doing here! :) It has really encouraged me to make better choices. I love free workouts you can do at home! Check out the full length workouts at fitnessblender.com (they are also available on youtube) & the yogamazing podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to keep crashing the girls' party, but please don't do P90X. You will damage your body by working out that much. It will burn out your adrenal glands and leave you worse off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on deciding to live a healthier lifestyle. Have you tried any fitness apps? I just found PumpUp which is great because not only can you choose your level and your goals, but if working from home you select available equipment. Sworkit Pro is great too! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jillian Michaels has the 30 day shred that comes with three different levels. I bought it for maybe $10 as an amazon library stream.... well when I do work out. Thank you ladies so much for putting it all out there it is so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jillian Michaels is free on amazon prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for posting this, Katie! I have Amazon Prime, I'll have to look into that. Kristin and Bre, I use My Fitness Pal app to track my calories and nutrients, Nike Training Camp for free workouts, and the Couch to 5K app is GREAT for slowly introducing you to running. I HATE running but you gradually work up to the 5k over 8 weeks and it's really doable!

      Delete