Friday, January 3, 2014

Recipe: GP's Go-To Tomato Sauce

I will be the first to admit that I was beyond skeptical when Gwyneth Paltrow started coming out with cookbooks, I mean how can someone that skinny make a recipe that tastes good? Well, I was wrong. I have both of her cookbooks, My Father's Daughter (amazing fish tacos), and It's All Good- which is the healthier of the 2 cookbooks. I've actually made more recipes from It's All Good, I find them interesting and healthy but still yummy.


Tonight for dinner I'm making her "Go-To Tomato Sauce", which also happens to be my go-to sauce these days. I make it year round, in the summer we have it on thinly sliced zucchini, in the winter I like it on quinoa pasta with a little sausage for spice. It's a nice, basic sauce that is simple and delicious.


 Gwyneth Paltrows Go-To Tomato Sauce
2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I use 8-10 depending on size)
4 large fresh basil leaves
Two 28oz cans whole peeled tomatoes with their juice (I use Pomi boxed tomatoes, I find them to be less acidic then canned tomatoes, you could always just add a pinch of sugar to your sauce if it's too acidic)
Salt & pepper

Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over low heat. add the garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add 2 of the basil leaves and cook for 1 minute. Add all the tomatoes and their juice along with the other 2 basil leaves, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils turn the heat to low, add salt and pepper, and cook for 45 minutes. I used chopped tomatoes, but if you used whole tomatoes just break them down with a wooden spoon as it cooks. 


Tonight we'll be having it over quinoa pasta but here is a picture from one of our summer meals, I could eat this every day when it's warm out! GP's tomato sauce, chopped sausage, thinly sliced and sautéed zucchini (this tool is a must!), and a bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese on top. So good! You have to try it!


*Quick little side note- gluten free pastas can be tricky. If you're not careful it'll come out gummy, overcooked, and not very eatable. I've noticed that if I cook it in plenty of water, and I'm very careful not to overcook it (it needs to stay a bit firm), then people don't even notice the difference.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!
-Bre

No comments:

Post a Comment