Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 5 of No Caffeine......


To give you perspective, I drank anywhere from 2-10 cups of coffee a day. It was caffeinated and I poured in the "foofoo" creamer pretty heavily. I never really drink coffee to wake up, I just love the ambiance and taste. It went well with breakfast, a book, doing school...etc.



As you know, since I already posted my reasons why, I decided to move to decaf coffee.

Photos from our fam shoot with Logan Cole

I drank decaf for one day before changing my mind on that too. Ya see, I was still putting in all my foofoo creamer. I do NOT like plain "black" coffee. The sugar, let alone amount of calories I was racking in every time I drank a cup, was silly business. I did not look into the following concerns but just the tone of them added to my change. I was told multiple times that I should read about the amount of caffeine that is still in decaf and some people were concerned about the process of making coffee decaf...soaking in chemicals and needing to make sure I was choosing "clean decaf". People have opinions and concerns about everything so I would want to look into those myself eventually but the sugar thing alone made me switch since i don't like the taste of coffee unless there is a truck load of sweetness added to it.

The same day I posted about starting to drink decaf an Instagram buddy, @FiveChicksWellness, posted about Dandy Blend . I of course slightly rolled my eyes and put this in the "health nut" category in my mind. But then curiosity got the best of me and I went to their site and read about it..... which kinda, accidentally, maybe made me buy some. I got it in a couple days ago and really think its.......yum! I can drink it plain or when I feel I want a treat I add a wee bit of "Sugar in the Raw"! It tastes good and looks a lot like coffee and has a similar fullness to it. Go to their site and read about it... all the minerals in it and health benefits. So, here I am this morning drinking a wonderful cup of dandelion root herb drink....who am I and what alien took over my body? Do i still have rights to make fun of health nuts?



Here is the crazy thing... i have had NO headaches. Not one. How did I go from drinking 2-10 cups of  caffeinated coffee a day to none at all and not suffer from a headache? I have a little theory... #1. I did drink a days worth of decaf coffee, maybe there was enough caffeine still in it to have a slight weening effect? #2. I have already been taking a supplement called "Tyrosine" for 2 weeks before I quit caffeine. Come to find out, this supplement is given to help aid people going off caffeine cold turkey to help avoid headaches! #3. Dandy blend claims "There are no headaches or other withdrawal symptoms when switching from coffee to Dandy Blend". Not sure if it was one or a combination of them all, but I have been SHOCKED at how easy it has been for me to give this up.

Balance.... As of now I have decided that in my home I want to be caffeine free to help my body do its thing. I have also decided that I'm totally up for having coffee as a treat here and there while out with friends, at a guests house.... road trip, etc. This can always change, but this is where I'm at for now.

Oh and Ill keep coffee at my house too so if you're a guest, I still got you covered, but I wont have foofoo creamer on hand :)


-Kristin

15 comments:

  1. This is truly very helpful. Thank you.

    I am really rather stubborn about my coffee to the point of thinking "Am I ME if I don't drink coffee?!?"

    Silly, really but this makes it seem really possible and even enjoyable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, find out! Try the supplement and/or Dandy Blend and see what happens! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm on day two of the Whole 30 (my 2nd W30), and really missing my coffee, even though all I drink is decaf. However, the ton of CoffeeMate French Vanilla Creamer I dump in canNOT be healthy for me. So, coffee is out for now, and I've been guzzling herbal tea, but missing the "fullness" that you mentioned in coffee. I see that DandyBlend has grains in it, so I won't try it while I'm on the Whole 30, but you can bet I'm gonna check it out as soon as I'm done with this program!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Its a much fuller feel to me then tea. Let us know if you liked it.

      Delete
  3. I have tried so many coffee alternatives...none seem to take the place if a cuppa joe! Hmmmmm...maybe this dandelion root will work. I will have to check it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. worth a try right? Let us know if you liked it.

      Delete
  4. I only drink one cup of coffee a day at work. I wonder if I remove it all together will it make a big difference? I'm wondering if 1 a day is ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the only caffeine you are drinking or do you drink caffeinated tea or sodas too? I'm no expert , we're learning a lot ourselves, but one cup of coffee a day doesn't seem like something to worry about at all.

      Delete
    2. Um typically it is, unless I drink a soda which is not everyday... but when I do.. I'm starting to drink Sierra mist since its "decaffeinated" :)

      I want to feel like I'm doing part as well !

      Onward Girls!

      Delete
  5. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. learn more

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article. coffee brewing tips

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. the best coffee beans

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article. pacebook pva account

    ReplyDelete
  9. The writer is enthusiastic about purchasing wooden furniture on the web and his exploration about best wooden furniture has brought about the arrangement of this article. Tiktok Takipçi Satın Al

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post. holiday in sri lanka

    ReplyDelete